what is node JS?
When Node.js performs an I/O operation, like reading from the network, accessing a database or the filesystem, instead of blocking the thread and wasting CPU cycles waiting, Node.js will resume the operations when the response comes back.
This allows Node.js to handle thousands of concurrent connections with a single server without introducing the burden of managing thread concurrency, which could be a significant source of bugs.
features and characteristics of Node.js
Why choose node js:-
- Scalability: Node.js is designed to be scalable. It’s well-suited for applications that require real-time functionality and handling multiple connections. This makes it a good choice for chat applications, gaming, and other real-time apps.
- Active Community: Node.js has a large and active open-source community. This means that you have access to a vast number of libraries and packages via the Node Package Manager (NPM) that can significantly speed up your development.
- Cross-Platform: Node.js is cross-platform, meaning it runs on various operating systems like Windows, macOS, and Linux. This is advantageous for developing applications that need to run on different environments.
- Microservices: Node.js is well-suited for building microservices architecture. Its lightweight, event-driven model is a good fit for creating small, independently deployable services.
- Large Ecosystem: Node.js has a vast ecosystem of libraries and frameworks, which can help you with various aspects of development. For example, Express.js is a popular framework for building web applications with Node.js.
- Quick Development: Node.js is known for its rapid development cycle. It’s particularly useful for prototyping and getting a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) up and running quickly.
- Community Support: Node.js has a strong and supportive community, which can be helpful for finding solutions to problems, sharing best practices, and staying up to date with the latest trends and technologies.
- Open Source: Node.js is open source, which means it’s free to use and has a transparent development process. This can be attractive for businesses looking to keep development costs down.