Azure, often referred to as Microsoft Azure, is a cloud computing platform and infrastructure service offered by Microsoft. It provides a wide range of cloud services, including computing, storage, networking, databases, analytics, machine learning, and more. Azure allows organizations to build, deploy, and manage applications and services through Microsoft’s global network of data centers.
Key features and services of Azure include:
- Virtual Machines: Azure offers a variety of virtual machine types and sizes, allowing users to run Windows or Linux-based applications in the cloud.
- App Service: This service enables the development and hosting of web and mobile applications without managing infrastructure.
- Azure Functions: A serverless computing service that lets you run event-triggered code without provisioning or managing servers.
- Azure Blob Storage: Provides scalable object storage for documents, videos, images, and more.
- Azure SQL Database: A managed relational database service that supports SQL Server and offers high availability and security.
- Azure Active Directory: Microsoft’s identity and access management service for securing access to Azure resources.
- Azure Virtual Network: Allows users to create private, isolated networks within Azure and connect them to on-premises networks.
- Azure Cognitive Services: Offers APIs and pre-built AI and machine learning models for tasks such as image recognition, text analysis, and speech recognition.
- Azure DevOps: A set of development tools and services that support the entire software development lifecycle.
- Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS): A managed Kubernetes container orchestration service for deploying, managing, and scaling containerized applications.
- Azure Functions: A serverless compute service that lets you run event-triggered code without provisioning or managing servers.
- Azure Logic Apps: Helps in automating workflows and integrating services, apps, and data.
- Azure IoT Hub: Provides management, monitoring, and security for IoT (Internet of Things) devices and data.
- Azure Cosmos DB: A globally distributed, multi-model database service for building highly responsive and scalable applications.
- Azure Security Center: A unified security management system that provides advanced threat protection across all Azure services.
- Azure Monitor: Offers comprehensive monitoring and analytics for applications and infrastructure.
Azure is used by businesses and developers for a wide range of purposes, including website hosting, data storage, machine learning, IoT, and more. It is known for its global reach, robust security features, and a vast ecosystem of services and tools to support cloud-based projects. Azure competes with other major cloud providers like Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)